Re: [RFA:] Fix bug with #APP/#NO_APP when using macros.

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 09:01:14PM -0700, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> And since no one has noticed this up to now, does that mean that there
> is no real performance benefit to be had from #NO_APP, and we can blow
> away all the code that emits it from gcc?  Or should gcc be changed to
> emit #NO_APP at file start?

I just ran a current assembler (without HPAs latest patch) on a
powerpc-linux insn-attrtab.s which happens to be well over 6M in
size.

Without #NO_APP (I used #NO-APP :))
real    0m2.450s
user    0m2.370s
sys     0m0.090s

With #NO_APP
real    0m1.917s
user    0m1.850s
sys     0m0.060s

To put these numbers into context, gcc -g took nearly 20 seconds to
produce the .s file.  ie. the assembly time improvement gained by
adding #NO_APP represents about 2.6% of the total time to produce the
object file.  For a -g -O2 compile the improvement was only 0.86%.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre