Re: [rfa] FRV input files

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:03:54PM -0400, Andrew Cagney wrote:

> >>From the FSF's point of view, this is brand new code and, as such
> >>should, from day one be given the correct (C) and correct license.  To
> >>do otherwize would be confusing.
> >>
> >>Think of this as part of a brand new port that you've never seen before.
> >>Even though the contributor might have a separate repository containing
> >>a very long history of changes, all that is irrelevant to the FSF.  From
> >>the FSF's point of view, the file is ``born'' the day someone
> >>contributes it.
> >

> >Now that's ridiculous.
>
> It isn't.
>
> >Please at least post a diff from the version already _in the repository
> >you are asking permission to commit this patch to_.
>
> I'm asking permission to add these files to binutils.  It just so
> happens that the binutils uses the same repository as CGEN to store its
> files.  The file I'm submitting was even drawn from Red Hat's internal
> repository.
>
> Anyway, since you seem to be convinced that there must be a diff
> (perhaphs I'm hiding something ...), the below compares
> src/cgen/cpu/frv.cpu with the file I posted.
>
> 1,4c1,21
> < ; Fujitsu FRV CPU description.  -*- Scheme -*-
> < ; Copyright (C) 2000, 2001 Red Hat, Inc.
> < ; This file is part of CGEN.
> < ; See file COPYING.CGEN for details.
> ---
> > ; Fujitsu FRV opcode support, for GNU Binutils.  -*- Scheme -*-
> > ;
> > ; Copyright 2003 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> > ;
> > ; Contributed by Red Hat Inc; developed under contract from Fujitsu.
> > ;
> > ; This file is part of the GNU Binutils.
> > ;
> > ; This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
> > ; it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
> > ; the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the License, or
> > ; (at your option) any later version.
> > ;
> > ; This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
> > ; but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
> > ; MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.  See the
> > ; GNU General Public License for more details.
> > ;
> > ; You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
> > ; along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
> > ; Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330, Boston, MA
> 02111-1307, USA.
>
> Exciting, eh?

Thank you.  That's all I wanted you to do.  Binutils _already uses
files generated from frv CGEN input_.  You can go look at it yourself,
in opcodes/.  So if you're going to contribute a different version of
the file, it would be nice to know the effect if any on the already
available frv support.  That's an important part of this contribution;
it can not be treated as new code.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz