Passing line number info to gas?

Hi,

I'm maintining MASP (see below) and I'm trying to pass line number info to gas. The syntax doesn't seem to be documented in the info files (why should it?). I don't know what the third field is (after the filename) and how much info I can pass to it. Can someone please explain this or simply point me to the relevant sources so I can read them?

MASP is an Assembly Preprocessor at http://cosmos.raunvis.hi.is/~johannos/masp/ (based on GASP)
Savannah Project Pending

Johann