Re: check mips abi x linker emulation compatibility

On 20 May 2003, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> mips64-linux-gnu-abi64 and mips64-linux-gnu-abin32 are recognized by
> glibc, a change I made after my initial mips64{n32,n64,o32} attempt
> because it was rejected by the maintainer of config.{guess,sub}, and I
> actually disliked it myself.  If you want to set the ABI, use the
> existing convention of specifying it after linux-gnu, as done in
> -altivec and other multi-abi systems.

 I wasn't aware the usual triplet has managed to grow to a quintuplet,
yet. ;-)  Anyway, that makes a lot of sense.  I'll hit this direction with
my development, then.

> /me thinks n32 should definitely be the default for mips64-linux-gnu,
> in the absence of an explicit abi specification.

 Well, while I think (n)64 would be the right choice from a puristic point
of view, I do recognize practical reasons and I consider the current
default acceptable (although the naming may be somewhat confusing).  If
practical conditions change as time passes by, we may reconsider the
default choice, after all.