ld refuses to link.

I am currently learning c++ and have run into a mildly annoying
problem.  When I use the sun compiler,  everything compiles and links
nicely.  When I use g++ and the gnu linker, I just get undefined
reference errors.  Now, I have noticed that the sun compiler invokes
it's linker with the -u and -R[object file] options, but I do not know
how to have the gnu compiler "automagically" do this.  More
specifically, when I take this code to another machine, how do I have a
makefile resolve these dependencies.  Any help would be appreciated.  I
have included three files:
gnucompile.txt    [console output when I use g++]
suncompile.txt    [console output when I use the sun compiler]
fixme.tar.gz         [code I am trying to compile]

program versions:
gcc= 3.2.3
binutils= 2.13.2.1

Thank you for any advice/help anyone could give me.

Greg Davey
gbdavey@acsu.buffalo.edu