Re: Partial autoconf transition thoughts

On 13 Jun 2003, Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> >  OK, the first is a native one, so it goes to $exec_prefix, say:
> > /usr/lib.  The second one is a cross one, so it goes to
> > $exec_prefix/$target_alias, say: /usr/mipsel-linux/lib.  Finally, the last
> > one is a cross one, too, so it goes to $exec_prefix/$target_alias, say:
> > /usr/mipsel-linux/lib -- oops! -- the second one just got overwritten...
>
> Two crosses to the same target, and you don't want one to overwrite

 ... from different hosts; only the build is the same.

> the other?  Well, then...  I guess you want to add build timestamps
> somewhere in the pathname or something.
>
> More likely, I just misunderstand the scenario you have in mind :-)

 See my note above.  The second library is for binaries that want to run
on this build/host (i386-linux) system, but interpret different target
(mipsel-linux) binaries.  The third library is for linking binaries to be
run on another host system (mipsel-linux) and interpret its native
(mipsel-linux) binaries.  The third library is never used at the run time,
but it needs to exist for mipsel-linux-ld.

> My proposal back then was $exec_prefix/x-$target_alias for
> host-x-target libraries.  libraries for the target (i.e., not
> libraries for host applications to manipulate target binaries, but
> rather libraries containing code that will run on the target) would
> still be in $exec_prefix/$target_alias, where they're currently
> installed, but there's no reason why we couldn't move them to say
> $prefix/$target_alias (since they depend on target, and are totally
> independent of host), and use $exec_prefix/$target_alias for
> host-x-target binaries.

 It looks sane to me, but I think both host-x-target (or really
build-x-target; what about build-x-host-x-target? ;-) ) libraries and such
binaries should both be under $exec_prefix/x-$target_alias for consistency
then.  And host libraries (I suppose you mean that -- few libraries, such
as bfd, actually recognize the existence of a target; I understand the
naming can be confusing) may go to $prefix/$host_alias (where $prefix may
sometimes effectively be equal to $exec_prefix).  And native (i.e.
build/host) libraries and binaries go straight under $exec_prefix.