using bfd, help please I am confused

Hi,

I am working on some rudimentary memory tracking code embedded into our
application. What I have done so far is overload new and delete
operators. What I'd like to do next is figure out the function/method
name from where these were called. Someone pointed me to bfd but when I
started looking at the documentation I got lost.

My assumption is that I can somehow figure out the address of the
function I am in, from here I'd like to figure out the function name.
The approach is to use the

void * __builtin_return_address (unsigned int level)

kernel function to get the return address of the stack from there I
should be able to figure out the function/method name/symbol.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Robert
--