Re: GNU as 2.14 on IRIX 6: crashes with shared libs

On Tue, Jul 22, 2003 at 03:26:23PM +0200, Rainer Orth wrote:
> Eric Christopher writes:
>
> > Unfortunately there's no real pattern for the gas only options. I'd lean
> > toward -m<opt> though.
>
> Ok, I'll go with -mpdr/-mno-pdr then.  I think it doesn't make sense to use
> -mpdr/-no-mpdr here since (unlike e.g. -mips16/-no-mips16 or
> -mdebug/-no-mdebug) the `m' is not part of the option name.
>
> > > Btw., I noticed that -mdebug/-no-mdebug are documented neiter in as --help
> > > nor in doc/c-mips.texi.
> >
> > Hmm... I should get to that. Thanks.
>
> Fine, thanks.
>
> While we are speaking of documentation, maybe Daniel could document a
> couple of things about the .pdr sections:
>
> * What's the expansion of the pdr acronym?

Procedure description record?  Maybe.

> * What purpose do the .pdr section serve?

You can see from the section flags that it's SEC_DEBUGGING.  It's used
to identify the frame pointer and saved registers, for help in
unwinding.

> * What do you loose without them?

If you don't have .pdr sections, _and_ you don't have
.debug_frame/.eh_frame from the compiler, then you have to use a hokey
prologue analyzer.  If MIPS did what (I think?) Alpha already does and
generated .debug_frame or .eh_frame automatically if there was no
input frame data, then we could ditch it.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz