Does --relax work on mainline for H8/300H/H8S?

I can't seem to get --relax to work on mainline ld + mainline gcc, at least
on the H8
cross.  All I get is a slew of "relocation truncated to fit" warnings from
the linker.  It's been this way for quite a while now.

- What exactly does "relocation truncated to fit" mean anyway, and what
other than an ld bug might cause it?  I can't find
any documentation on this.
- Assuming this is a legit bug, what can I do to help diagnose and fix it?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't know enough about what's
going on here to generate a testcase, or I'd have submitted a proper bug
report.

--
Gary R. Van Sickle
Braemar Inc.