Re: Segfault with -pie on IA64

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 11:40:03PM -0800, Jim Wilson wrote:
> I wasn't able to reproduce this.  You didn't mention binutils version,
> so I tried mainline sources.  I tried it both on a debian-stable system
> using a gcc-3.4 snapshot as the compiler, and via a cross compiler on a
> x86 RHL8 system.  Neither one segfaults.

Sorry, that was stupid of me, and thank you for looking anyway.  It
happens for me with the debian linker
GNU ld version 2.14.90.0.6 20030820 Debian GNU/Linux
and the version I pulled from CVS
GNU ld version 2.14.90 20031030

I tried building the CVS ld with gcc-3.3.2 and gcc-snapshot from
debian (gcc version 3.4 20031005) but both cause a segfault.  It
doesn't matter if I use crtbeginS.o or if I compile test.o with -fPIC.

It doesn't do it when I use the -pie option of gcc 3.4.  Passing
-Wl,-pie (even though gcc is linking in all the wrong crt files) with
gcc-3.2 doesn't seem to trigger it either, so I guess collect2 is
doing something else.

Unfortunately this problem was noticed by one of the other students
who is evaluating execution models on another OS and so wants to
invoke the linker separately with his own crt files and libraries.

-i