Re: bug-binutils@gnu.org

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

> It is absolutely essential to pay attention to bug reports sent to
> bug-binutils.  The spam problem should not be so hard to solve.  Is
> our spam filtering activated on that list?  If not, activating it
> would probably be enough to make it manageable.
>
> Please write to sysadmin@gnu.org to ask for this.

I've CC'ed sysadmin@gnu.org.

which currently forwards to bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org.  Other related
aliases are bug-gas@gnu.org and bug-gnu-as@gnu.org.  The bug-gnu-utils
list currently gets a great deal of spam.  Also, bug-gnu-utils is used
for programs besides the GNU binutils.

I think it might be best for us to have a separate mailing list
bug-binutils@gnu.org, with bug-gas@gnu.org and bug-gnu-as@gnu.org as
aliases.  Full spam blocking should be activated for the new mailing
list.

>     I think that a patch like the one below might be acceptable, but we
>     will have to check with the FSF to make sure.
>
> That is not a solution to the problem.  Mail sent to the standard
> address needs to get handled.  Anyway, once the new address gets
> known, it too will get spam.

The binutils@sourceware.org address is well known, and does in fact
receive a great deal of spam.  However, Chris Faylor works very hard
to keep spam off the sourceware.org mailing lists, and is in general
quite successful using a variety of different techniques which he
updates continually.  That is, the spam is sent to
binutils@sourceware.org, but it is trapped and is not forwarded to the
mailing list members.

Ian