Re: Are new ports accepted after a branch is created ?

On Fri, Nov 07, 2003 at 04:38:18PM +0200, Galit Heller wrote:
> We are working towards submitting a binutils port for National Semiconductor's
> CR16C processor, and are aiming at joining the 2.15 release. In an email in
> the archive regarding the work on version 2.14, it was stated that only
> significant fixes shuold be applied to the branch. I've also read that the
> 2.15 branch is expected in a month or so.
>
> Are new ports accepted after a branch is created ? In other words - could a
> port submitted after the 2.15 branch is created still be included in the 2.15
> release ?
>
> Also, is there an estimation of the time between a version's branch and
> its release (I noticed that for 2.14 the period was approx. 2 months).
>
> The answers to these questions will help us determine priorities and
> necessary focus in our work towards this goal.

There are no fixed policies for this sort of thing.

The intent is, after branching, to release as soon as reasonably
possible.  If a port touches very little outside of new files, it is
likely to be accepted.  If it has risk of destabilizing existing
targets, it will be refused.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz