Re: objdump: circular debug information error message //<undefined> types in output

Hi Roul,

> Because I was thinking of shared libs used by objdump which might
> cause the trouble I had a look with ldd which gave me the next
> riddle

> As I understood 1. libbfd isn't dynamically linked

Yup.

> and 2. the only difference in here is
>   libc.so.6 (GLIBC_2.1.3) => /lib/libc.so.6
> which I think means that objdump on the other machine uses a
> different version of glibc.

Also correct.  It looks like the other machine has an older version of
glibc installed on it.  (Or at least installed on it in such a way
that it is found before other versions of glibc).

> However I like to know why it is like that and set MALLOC_CHECK_ which
> answered on each test with the different objdumps
>
> malloc: using debugging hooks
>
> but nothing else ... so I guess there is nothing wrong happening with
> malloc.

Well, that is not guaranteed, but it does look like the problem is not
due to a memory corruption bug.

> But before I start debugging objdump I like to know your opinion.

It sounds like your best bet now is going to be to start at the
"circular debug info" message and work backwards from there.  ie find
out *why* this message is being produced and whether it is being
correctly produced or if it is the result of an uninitialised variable
or some other kind of bug.

Cheers
        Nick