Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> Paul Eggert has been asking over the course of the last year when
> config.{guess,sub} will start to correctly identify Solaris version
> numbers.  The problem is that config.guess misidentifies Solaris 7, 8,
> and 9, and it will probably misidentify Solaris 10 (unless Sun
> marketing changes Solaris names again).  For example, on a Solaris 8
> box, config.guess outputs "sparc-sun-solaris2.8"; but there never was
> and never will be a "Solaris 2.8", as Solaris 2.6 (SunOS 5.6) was
> immediately followed by Solaris 7 (SunOS 5.7).

I'm reiterating what I said way downthread in a more prominent
location because (a) it is buried, and (b) having reflected for 24
hours I now feel much more strongly about the issue.

THE OUTPUT OF CONFIG.GUESS MUST NOT EVER CHANGE.
EVEN IF IT IS WRONG.

It is, however, perfectly fine and in fact desirable for config.sub to
recognize sparc-solaris7 as equivalent to sparc-sun-solaris2.7.

zw