Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     > This overstates the amount of work that will need to be done, as the
>     > vast majority of configure scripts will not be affected by this change,
>     > whereas the switch from Autoconf 2.13 to 2.5x required changes to most
>     > configure.in files.
>
>     The burden is on you to prove that - in the absence of evidence we
>     must assume that most or all configure scripts *will* have to be
>     modified;
>
> Don't we know that most programs that use Autoconf don't actually look
> at the configuration name at all?

Paul Eggert already presented evidence that roughly 10% of a sample of
configure.in scripts not only look at the configuration name, but
match it against patterns containing the string "solaris" or "sunos".
To my mind that is enough to rule out the proposed change as too costly.

And, for the third time, Autoconf is not the only user of
config.guess/config.sub.

zw