Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

    > Don't we know that most programs that use Autoconf don't actually look
    > at the configuration name at all?

    Paul Eggert already presented evidence that roughly 10% of a sample of
    configure.in scripts not only look at the configuration name, but
    match it against patterns containing the string "solaris" or "sunos".
    To my mind that is enough to rule out the proposed change as too costly.

I'm surprised it is so many.  As someone pointed out, the real extent of
the problem depends on how many of them check the version number as well
as the name.  It should be pretty easy to measure that too.

    And, for the third time, Autoconf is not the only user of
    config.guess/config.sub.

The point is that most programs nowadays use Autoconf, so other uses are
few.