Re: flag day for Solaris portions of config.{guess,sub}

Ben Elliston <bje@wasabisystems.com> writes:

> Some people care because the output of config.guess does not match the
> well-known name by which that operating system and version are known.
> This is, admittedly, potentially confusing to newbies who think they
> are using a Solaris 7 system and config.guess tells them they are
> using Solaris 2.7.

Okay, but I can't countenance that as justification for any kind of
incompatible change, not even one that only changes behavior for as
yet unreleased versions of Solaris.  (People have already written
configure scripts that expect Solaris 10 will be identified as
*-sun-solaris2.10.)

zw