Re: RFC: linker enhancements

Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com> writes:

>    E.g. for libgcc_s for C dynamically linked programs which are using
>    -fexceptions (which is quite rare these days), GCC currently links
>    in libgcc_eh.a.  It would be better to link against libgcc_s in that
>    case (so that there is just one unwinder etc.), on the other side
>    for the 99% of C dynamically linked programs which don't need it
>    linking against a shared library they don't use is a waste.

I've suggested before that *all* shared libraries should get
DT_NEEDED-ed into the executable only if they resolve undefined
symbols - "just like" static libraries.  (Check over your system and
see how many applications load libnsl, though it's totally
unnecessary, because they used AC_CHECK_LIB instead of AC_SEARCH_LIBS
in their configure script.)

zw