Re: arm-wince-pe support resurrection

Nick,

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Dmitry Semyonov wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Nick Clifton wrote:
>
> >   --- binutils-031118/bfd/reloc.c	Sun Nov 23 21:33:24 2003
> >   *************** _bfd_final_link_relocate (reloc_howto_ty
> >   *** 1353,1358 ****
> >   --- 1353,1361 ----
> >       if (address > input_section->_raw_size)
> >         return bfd_reloc_outofrange;
> >
> >   +   if (!howto->partial_inplace)
> >   +     return bfd_reloc_ok;  /* Do not modify "inplace" data, if not requested. */
> >   +
> >
> > This looks wrong to me.  First of all you are modifying a generic
> > routine which is used by all ports, not just the arm-wince-pe, so any
> > change has to be reviewed carefully.
> >
> > Secondly this patch appears to be preventing _bfd_final_link_relocate
> > from performing any relocation for which partial_inplace is FALSE.
> > This would include all ELF ports which use RELA relocations, which
> > cannot be right.
> >
> > What was the purpose of this part of the patch ?

Nothing shall be relocated inside raw sections data during partial
linking if howto->partial_inplace is set to FALSE.

What would you say about the following patch instead of the above
one?

Note that I can only verify the partial linking since the final link
stage is performed with MS tools.

*** coff-arm.c.1.49	Wed Dec 17 21:29:45 2003
--- coff-arm.c	Fri Dec 19 23:07:11 2003
*************** coff_arm_relocate_section (output_bfd, i
*** 1734,1743 ****
  #endif
        else
  #endif /* THUMBEXTENSION */
!         rstat = _bfd_final_link_relocate (howto, input_bfd, input_section,
!                                           contents,
!                                           rel->r_vaddr - input_section->vma,
!                                           val, addend);
  #if 1 /* THUMBEXTENSION */
        /* FIXME:
  	 Is this the best way to fix up thumb addresses? krk@cygnus.com
--- 1734,1746 ----
  #endif
        else
  #endif /* THUMBEXTENSION */
!         if (info->relocatable && ! howto->partial_inplace)
!             rstat = bfd_reloc_ok;
!         else
!             rstat = _bfd_final_link_relocate (howto, input_bfd, input_section,
!                                               contents,
!                                               rel->r_vaddr - input_section->vma,
!                                               val, addend);
  #if 1 /* THUMBEXTENSION */
        /* FIXME:
  	 Is this the best way to fix up thumb addresses? krk@cygnus.com

...Bye..Dmitry.