Re: [patch] automake 1.8 support for gas

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
>  As promised, now that automake has been fixed, I'm sending a fix for gas
> for a proper installation of info pages.  Changes are essentially a
> reversion of a fix from Nov 12th, with the following additional changes:
>
> 1. "install-data-local" is used for installing the info pages -- using
> "install" for this purpose prevents the man page from being installed.

But you're not changing the target depended on?  If there's a
problem, surely you need to change what's *depended on*,
effectively adding the target that causes manpages to be
installed, not the one that *depends*?

I'm probably confused, please enlighten me.  (I'm the one guilty
of the install-implying-install-info fix.)

>  # We want install to imply install-info as per GNU standards, despite the
>  # cygnus option.
> -install: install-info
> -install-info: install-info-am
> +install-data-local: install-info

Perhaps you should augment the comment by "which is accomplished
through this indirect dependency"?  (Else the comment
grown slightly more cryptic.)

Unless of course if it doesn't, but then the patch would be
wrong. ;-)

brgds, H-P