investigating RAM usage with nm / diff. between "nm" and "size" ?

Hi all,
I'm trying to use the nm command in order to understand how a program
makes use of RAM and how to reduce RAM requirements. My program is
supposed to be embedded, so RAM is very limited.

Using, the nm command to list symbols in the program, the last symbol
in the .bss section occurs at address 0xd0fe8. This also matches the
last address in the section reported by the linker map.

The .bss section starts at 0xd0000, so that should mean my program
uses 4072 bytes of RAM (?).

However, my concern is that when I use the size command, it reports
only 3336 bytes in the .bss section.

Do you know why these differ?

Many thanks,
Greg.