Re: Slow linker with shared C++ libraries

On Thursday 26 February 2004 07:19, H. J. Lu wrote:
> If a shared C++ library has many weak data definitions and many
> symbols, linking against such libraries can be very slow since
> elf_link_add_object_symbols has to go through all symbols for
> each referenced weak data definition to search for its aliases,
> although in most cases there is no alias. What is the best way
> to speed it up? Can we introduce a linker command not to check
> aliase for a DSO?

Michael Matz and myself made a patch to speed up weak symbol handling in the
linker, see:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2003-09/msg00175.html

As far as I know the patch is still not in binutils, but it sounds very much
like a solution to your problem.

Cheers,
Lars