Re: FW: Re: Why is my executabel in DOS file format?

From: Ian Lance Taylor <ian@wasabisystems.com>
In this case I assume that you are invoking the
linker with --oformat srec.

Yes s19... srec format.

If that is indeed what you are doing, then note that S-record files
are not text files.

No, right out of the spec "... encoding printable programs or data in a printable (ASCII) format..."

They follow a specific binary format which
happens to be more or less human-readable.  That format calls for each
line to end with \r\n, which is indeed DOS file format for a text
file.

Not "more are less"... printable ASCII is very readable.

I don't see anything in the spec that says \n. It only says " the file may be terminated with CR/LF/NULL".

\n is interpreted by different OS's differently - for example look at an ascii chart and you willl find \n is often written as line feed OR new line.

However, Unix/ linux can treat "newline" as 0x12 and DOS uses 0x15 / 0x12 as a new line.

E.g. write a C program in dos with \n; it will do a carriage return and line feed. Do the same thing in Linux/Unix and you will also get the same result.... HOWEVER, both DOS and UNIX interpret /n differently and produce the same code.

There is no option to generate S-record files which use only \n.

I didn't ask about \n.

I said carriage return and line feed - \n is up for your OS's interpretation. However, if you create the file (s19), using Linux, you will find that it is in DOS format - for example open it with VI and it will say {DOS} at the bottom.

Then I have to run DOS2UNIX on the file then I can use the S record to program flash or download to my microprocessor.

(and note, if looked at in VI, it now no longer says it is a "DOS" file a la dos2unix...).

The new MSN 8: smart spam protection and 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca