Re: binutils-2.14: gmake check fails on Solaris9.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, 18:41:23 +0100, Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Manfred Hollstein wrote:
[...]
> > is supported nowaday, but IIRC, I always had similar problems like
> src/binutils/README says
> <quote>
> If you have GNU make, we recommend building in a different directory:
>
> 	mkdir objdir
> 	cd objdir
> 	../binutils-XXX/configure [options]
> 	make
> 	make install
>
> This relies on the VPATH feature of GNU make.
> </quote>
>
> Does this need to be revised to be stronger than a recommendation?

I'm not sure. I haven't tried for a long time, in fact, I never
really did, as building the stuff in a separate directory (next
to srcdir) is the most easy thing for (a) building for several
target architectures and (b) creating diffs after all builds
are finished without having to filter out all generated files...
I'd rewrite the paragraph as

  If you have GNU make, don't bother with building in srcdir, as it
  is causing all sorts of trouble...

HTH, cheers.

l8er
manfred