Re: PATCH: Improve 32bit ia64 linker

On Fri, 2004-03-12 at 09:09, H. J. Lu wrote:
> I noticed that we were using 64bit aligment and relocations on 32bit
> ia64 target. This patch addreses those issues. Will it help to get
> the ia64 linker to work on HP-UX?

It sounds like you are guessing, which isn't a very good way to do
development.  Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of HPUX, so I can't
check.  I did notice that HP has compiled copies of binutils/gcc that
can be downloaded from its web site.  If we download them and run
objdump on libraries and executables we can learn a little about how the
resulting code is supposed to look.  It confirms most of your changes.
However, I was surprised to see that the binaries contain both 32-bit
and 64-bit dynamic relocs, sometimes even for the same functions or
variables.  I didn't investigate further.  If we really care, we should
be able to get online access to HPUX machines via www.testdrive.hp.com.

I looked through the patch is looks OK to me.

The binutils/gcc binaries are here
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSoftwareDetailPage_IDX/1,1703,547,00.html
It is a .depot file, but it turns out to be just a tar file, and GNU tar
can extract it OK.