Re: Porting to a target similar to an existing one

Hi Bernd,

[Sorry for the delay in replying to this email].

What do you guys recommend? Should I just go for a brand new target,
effectively forking the v850 code, or should I litter the v850 code with
flags and ifdefs and other uglification? The different relocation
flavour seems to suggest quite a deep schism...

I would suggest a new target with a new manufacturer field (the middle field). eg something like this:

--target=v850-greenhills-elf

I would also suggest that you arrange for v850-elf and v850-gnu-elf to be aliases for v850-unknown-elf.

Note - if you find that there is lots of common code between the "Green Hills" target and the GNU one, there is no reason why you should not extract this code into a shared file.

Oh, and BTW, is there anywhere I can lookup what the relocations are
supposed to do, besides guessing based on their name?

The meaning of the relocations really ought to be defined by the EABI in use. Therefore you should check the Green Hills documentation to see what EABI they follow and attempt to find the documentation on that. It may well be that there is no properly defined EABI, which is why there are differences between the Green Hills and GNU compilers. You can always check the source code for the implementation of the GNU versions of the relocs, but I doubt if Green Hills will be willing to let you look at their code...

Cheers
 Nick