Re: Questions about runtime linking...

On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 11:14:46AM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
>
> >On Tue, May 18, 2004 at 10:33:10AM -0700, David Daney wrote:
> >

> >>Questions:
> >>
> >>What property of a symbol make it appear as a dynamic relocation entry?
> >>
> >>Why don't symbols from glibc appear in the dynamic relocation entries?
> >>

> >Symbols only referenced in the initial GOT do not necessarily appear in
> >the list of dynamic relocations on MIPS.
> >
> >This is somewhat horrifying from a cross-platform-consistency
> >perspective.
> >

> Are you saying that a different mechanism is used for the relocations in
> the secondary GOTs, than those in the initial GOT?

Yes.

> >>How do I find where the relocations are for the undefined symbols from
> >>an objdump -T testapp listing?
> >>

> >Wherever objdump -R says - and also, sort of, at the appropriate offset
> >in .got determined by the symbol index and the dynamic tags
> >(DT_MIPS_GOTSYM?  Something like that.)
> >

> Is there some way to get objdump and/or readelf to print these out?  Or
> is it emacs hexl mode for me?

Not really.  I just use readelf -d to check the tags, readelf -Ds to
check the symbol table indices, and then readelf -x or objdump -s to
look at the .got section.

Either the SVR4 psABI supplement or the SGI N32 handbook covers this,
but all information in those should be considered somewhat apocryphal.

> The H.J. Lu version..
>
> $ mipsel-linux-ld --version
> GNU ld version 2.14.90.0.5 20030722
>
> I have 2.15, but am not currently using it for this build.  Perhaps it
> is time to upgrade...

That release is much too old to include my fixes.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz