Porting binutils to new platform

I'm trying to get binutils working for a calculator.

The calculator uses an ARM processor... but typically uses it to emulate the
assembly language of a now-defunct proprietary processor.  Recently, it's been
discovered that it's possible to call ARM machine code by placing the machine
code into a string constant and then doing some fancy stuff with the emulated
assembly to cause the processor to jump to the address of the string constant.
I'd like to define a target file format which takes ARM assembly and creates
just such a file -- with machine code stuffed into a string constant and the
basic Saturn machine code header to cause the processor to run the ARM code.

Does this sound feasible?  Where would I start looking at adding the new
target?

TIA,

--
www.designacourse.com