Re: [patch] MIPS gas problems with gcc's explicit relocs

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Richard Sandiford wrote:

> Sorry for the delay...

 No problem.

> >  Thus I suppose the SGI assembler supports such constructs, as:
> >
> > dla	$2,%lo(foo)($3)
> >
> > As you seem to have an access to an Irix host, could you please verify it?
>
> The SGI assembler doesn't seem to like it:
>
> as: Error: /foo.s, line 1: cannot use % relocation in macro instruction

 Hmm, interesting -- so they contradict their own specification.  Perhaps
it was too tough for them to handle. ;-)

> Not that that's necessarily a reason for gas to reject it.  (Like I say,
> I don't really have any opinion on that.  I just wanted to respond to
> the SGI question.)

 I find interpreting addresses universally in the same way consistent and
it makes the life easier for inline asm programmers.

 Note I think we should get rid of the use of artificial BFD_RELOC_LO16
relocations regardless.

  Maciej