Re: Ignorant question on GAS instruction offset addresses....

"Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@realitydiluted.com> writes:

> I really apologize for this stupid question. First, this is
> for a MIPS target. When I am assembling an instruction, I
> would like to know what the current offset address is within
> the .text section. Essentially, when you dissassemble an
> object file with objdump, the address offset of each instruction
> is printed along with the actual instruction. Where is the
> address "counter" at so that when I am inside 'append_insn' for
> 'config/tc-mips.c' I can see how far I am currently offset in
> the section. Please correct my terminilogy in your reply. Thanks.

http://sources.redhat.com/binutils/docs-2.15/as/Dot.html#Dot

Or, given the reference to append_insn, if you are modifying the gas
sources, then that information is not accessible within append_insn().
It's not accessible because it may be changed due to relaxation.  If
you explain further what you are trying to do, we may be able to
explain how to get what you need.

Ian