Re: patch / RFD: speed up linker map file generation

Ben Elliston <bje@au.ibm.com> writes:

> Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > There should definitely be an option.  There are users who run these
> > tools on small machines who will want the old behaviour.  I would
> > suggest making it a generalised switch (eg
> > --reduce-memory-overheads) that can be used to trigger other (as yet
> > unimplemented) tweaks to the linker's behaviour.

Note that the linker also has the --no-keep-memory option.  I don't
sure why we need a separate --reduce-memory-overheads option, although
I concede that --no-keep-memory is probably not the best name.

> There are plenty of applications that detect the amount of available
> working memory and adjust their behaviour accordingly.  Can't the
> linker do the same?  It seems unfortunate that we mere humans must
> instruct the program to do something that it can probably figure out
> better itself.

We would need a semi-portable way of figuring out how much space we
could reasonably allocate.  Given that, it's a mere matter of
programming.

(Simply running along casually until malloc returns NULL causes
massive thrashing along the way.)

Ian