Re: as/ld silently creates programs with undefined references/symbols

Hi Russel,

I have a prototype solution to this problem, but I would like more input from anyone who is interested. My idea is to provide a new function in the BFD ABI:

bfd_boolean bfd_is_target_special_symbol (bfd *, asymbol *);

I had noone complain about this approach so I have decided to go ahead and check it in. I have increased the BFD version number to reflect the presence of a new function in the API, and I have added a new switch to nm and objdump called "--special-syms". By default these tools will now skip displaying the ARM Mapping symbols unless this new switch is used.

Cheers
  Nick

bfd/ChangeLog

2004-10-08 Nick Clifton <nickc@redhat.com>

	* configure.in: (AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE): Set version to 2.15.93.
	* configure: Regenerate.
	* bfd-in2.h: Regenerate.
	* syms.c (bfd_is_target_special_symbol): New interface function.
	Returns true when a symbol should be considered to be special.
	* targets.h (bfd_target): Include bfd_is_target_special_symbol in
	the symbol jump table.
	* elf32-arm.h (elf32_arm_is_target_special_symbol): New function.
	Return true iff the symbol is a mapping symbol.
	(bfd_elf32_bfd_is_target_special_symbol): Define.
	* elfxx-target.h: Provide a default definition for
	bfd_is_target_special_symbol.
	* aout-target.h: Likewise.
	* aout-tic30.c: Likewise.
	* binary.c: Likewise.
	* coffcode.h: Likewise.
	* i386msdos.c: Likewise.
	* ieee.c: Likewise.
	* ihex.c: Likewise.
	* libaout.h: Likewise.
	* libbfd-in.h: Likewise
	* libecoff.h: Likewise.
	* mach-o.c: Likewise.
	* mmo.c: Likewise.
	* nlm-target.h: Likewise.
	* oasys.c: Likewise.
	* pef.c: Likewise.
	* ppcboot.c: Likewise.
	* srec.c: Likewise.
	* tekhex.c: Likewise.
	* versados.c: Likewise.
	* vms.c: Likewise.
	* xcoff-target.h: Likewise.
	* xsym.c: Likewise.
	* libbfd.h: Regenerate.

binutils/ChangeLog
2004-10-08  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* nm.c: Add a new switch --special-syms which, if enabled, will
	include the ARM Mapping symbols in nm's output.
	(usage): Mention the switch.
	(filter_symbols): Handle the switch.
	* objdump.c: Add a similar switch.
	(usage): Mention the switch.
	(dump_symbols): Handle the switch.
	* doc/binutils.texi: Document the new switches.
	* NEWS: Mention the new switches.