Re: as/ld silently creates programs with undefined references/symbols

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:59:29PM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Russel,
>
> > I have a prototype solution to this problem, but I would like more input
> > from anyone who is interested.  My idea is to provide a new function in
> > the BFD ABI:
> >
> >   bfd_boolean bfd_is_target_special_symbol (bfd *, asymbol *);
>
> I had noone complain about this approach so I have decided to go ahead
> and check it in.  I have increased the BFD version number to reflect the
> presence of a new function in the API, and I have added a new switch to
> nm and objdump called "--special-syms".  By default these tools will now
> skip displaying the ARM Mapping symbols unless this new switch is used.

Nick,

As you'll see from this thread on linux-kernel:

	http://lkml.org/lkml/2004/9/27/181

the problem that these mapping symbols cause is fairly widespread
across multiple programs.  Just fixing binutils isn't going to
resolve the problem - so I'm not entirely convinced that fixing
the nm and objdump output will resolve all problems.

I think the whole idea of mapping symbols needs a serious rethink,
and any other such changes to the ARM ELF format needs _careful_
consideration both from people actively involved with the toolchain
as well as operating system people.

--
Russell King