Re: Xbox support question

However, since you'd need special build machinery in this case to do
conversion from PE to XBE anyway, is it really that much of a burden to
use the command line options that accomplish all of the above?  Also,
Filip Navara recently submitted some fixes towards fixing -pie on PE.

Currently, we need a patch either way, as --subsystem:xbox isn't allowed, and ld doesn't accept numbers either (--subsystem:14). It's just rather dangerous to leave EXEs floating around that executing could do who knows what to Windows. Setting subsystem 14 causes an error when trying to run one.

It seems a little odd to add Xbox support to binutils when such support
is only useful for complementing some other unspecified required Xbox tools.

I guess so... I suppose --target=i686-pc-mingw32 --program-prefix=xbox- is enough, with a patch for --subsystem:xbox support.

Is it a lot of work to cause binutils to be able to handle XBE directly?
Is XBE similar to any of the other object formats binutils uses?

For someone that understands ld, probably not. But I don't, and XBE stuff is a little weird, with a million options.

XBE is most like PE, as you probably guessed. However, to correctly implement XBE requires the SHA-1 hash algorithm, which is a significant addition.

Melissa