Re: PATCH: --sysroot-suffix

Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

Would a --sysroot option work for you instead?  I can't think of any
realistic configurations where GCC and LD would have different
sysroots, so passing it down from gcc makes some sense.

I thought about this, but it seemed more complicated.

To do what you suggest, I would have to make more invasive changes to the GCC driver. Because the driver can't assume that binutils supports the new option, I was just modifying the linker spec for the target in question. (That target also defines SYSROOT_SUFFIX_SPEC.) I don't know of a way for a spec to request that the driver substitute in the current sysroot.

In summary, to do what you're suggesting, the way this would work would be:

1) Modify the linker to support --sysroot. This would be along the lines of my current patch, except that it would smply override the calculated sysroot.

2) Modify the GCC driver to support a new spec substitution character, like "%r".

3) Modify the GCC target in question to use "%r" appropriately in the link spec, so as to append the right suffix.

I'm willing to do that if the binutils people will pre-approve that approach in concept and prefer it to my current patch. However, I'm not sure I see a major advantage. My current patch will work for the Darwin folks too, so far as I can tell; they would just provide a relative path from the configured binutils sysroot to the actual location of the sysroot they want the linker to use.

Thanks,

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC