Re: PATCH: --sysroot-suffix

Richard Sandiford wrote:
Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@false.org> writes:

There seems to be plenty of precedent for --argument=value in GNU ld,
but the documentation says:

      Arguments  to  multiple-letter  options  must  either  be
      separated from the option name by an equals sign, or be given as
      separate arguments immediately following the option that
      requires them.  For example, --trace-symbol foo and
      --trace-symbol=foo are equivalent.  Unique abbreviations of
      the names of multiple-letter options are accepted.

I always use the space, personally, so I'd be pretty confused by the
dummy option handling; how about supporting that too?

It's much harder to do that in gcc though, and it's not really
consistent with gcc option handling, which usually enforces the
"--arg=value" form.  I thought it would be confusing to support
"--arg value" in one but not the other, especially given that
the interface is identical otherwise.

In my patch, I rejected the scan over argv[] to look for the option because you will get fooled by something like "-L --sysroot". That's why I required the --sysroot-suffix option to be the first option on the command line. I understand the usability argument in favor of your patch, and the fact that using --sysroot as a name is pretty unlikely, but I did want to raise the issue.

--
Mark Mitchell
CodeSourcery, LLC