Re: IA64 linker is broken

On Mon, Jan 31, 2005 at 10:32:27AM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 30, 2005 at 11:22:49AM -0800, H. J. Lu wrote:
> > /usr/lib/crt1.o:(.dynamic+0x0): multiple definition of `_DYNAMIC'
> [snip]
> > The 2005-01-24 binutils is OK. It may have something to do with
> >
> > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2005-01/msg00405.html
>
> Possible, I suppose.  An as-needed shared lib will define syms whether
> or not the lib is actually linked.  It will be linked if any symbol it
> defines satisfies an undefined reference, and conversely it isn't linked
> then there are no references to its symbols.  That should make it safe
> to leave its symbols in the symbol table, so long as we properly treat
> them in _bfd_elf_merge_symbol.  If there is a problem, it's likely to be
> in _bfd_elf_merge_symbol.

I'm testing the following on powerpc and x86 to ensure I haven't made
any silly mistakes.  It's a big hammer approach but cleaner than what we
had before, I think.  Rather than tweaking _bfd_elf_merge_symbol and
other places to specially handle symbols defined in unused --as-needed
libs, I've munged all such symbols back to their new state.  Hopefully
this won't break too many back-end elf_link_hash_traverse functions..

Would you please test this on ia64?  I don't have access to ia64
hardware, so testing this isn't so easy.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre