Re: PIC and libiberty

Jim Blandy <jimb@redhat.com> writes:

> > Is the problem that there are no PIC object files for libiberty (they
> > would be in the object directory libiberty/pic)?  Or is the problem
> > that they do exist, but that the SID build procedure can't find them?
>
> Several things suspiciously fail to conspire to produce PIC files in
> libiberty:
>
> - The host makefile fragment for Linux (if there is one at all?)
>   doesn't set PICFLAG.

On x86 Linux PICFLAG is set from config/mh-x86pic, as chosen by
libibert/config.table.

> - The top-level makefile doesn't propagate its value of PICFLAG to
>   subconfigures or submakes.

This doesn't matter, because nothing other than libiberty uses
PICFLAG.  Everything else uses libtool.

> - libiberty/configure.ac wouldn't do anything with a value for PICFLAG
>   that was passed to it.

configure.ac wouldn't, but libiberty/Makefile.in would.

> - Libiberty/Makefile.in doesn't have the @cookie@ in the assignment to
>   PICFLAG, so it'll never get a non-empty value.

Yes, it will, from the config fragments selected by
libiberty/config.table.

> What I'm getting at is, I don't think there have been any pic files in
> libiberty for some time.

When I configure with --enable-shared, I see them in libiberty/pic.

Ian