Re: open ia64 issues

On Tue, 2005-02-15 at 00:51, Jan Beulich wrote:
> OK, then I'll put this on my mid-term todo list.

You could always document bugs by filing them into bugzilla.  Though
realistically, if you aren't fixing these problems yourself, you will
have a long wait before anyone else does.

> It could reject reserved symbols, but as I said above that's not how ias appears to behave;

So that's another case where IAS doesn't follow its own documentation,
sigh.

> What I'd like to see is that the (qp) applies to all instructions generated by the macro

That sounds like an odd definition to me.  I'd expect macros to just be
a text to text translation, not something that has special side effects
such as treating the (qp) differently than normal.  I can see how this
would be useful, but I can also see how this might confuse end users.
This would have to be well documented as an exception to normal macro
processing.

Another matter to consider here is the -am option, which includes macro
expansions in the listing file.  If we are treating (qp) specially with
macros, then we will also have to update this code, otherwise the
listing files will be wrong with -am.  This may require some hackery in
the macro processing code, which is probably not desirable.