nios-elf-objcopy S-record length

I am currently working with a GNU tool chain obtained from Altera for the NIOS processor. Here is the version information obtained from a 'nios-elf-objcopy -V' command:
<start>
GNU objcopy 2.9-nios-010801-20030722
Copyright 1997, 1998, 1999 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
the GNU General Public License. This program has absolutely no warranty.
<end>

I am currently having a problem of objcopy making S-Records with 21 data bytes in them and am looking for a solution (21 bytes will be *very* inconvenient when I go to use these to FLASH a 16-bit device). On a redirect from someone, I have been browsing the archives of this mailing list and found an apparent patch for objcopy that would fix my problem. Here are the references to the messages I found:

http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-09/msg00321.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-03/msg00346.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-03/msg00416.html
http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2000-03/msg00427.html

Can someone please tell me if/how I can apply this patch to my version of objcopy so that I may get 16-byte S-Records generated and ease my life considerably? Or is there just a switch I need to activate that is not documented in 'nios-elf-objcopy -h' that I can use already?

Thanks,

Dan

[Sorry for breaking the threading, but the Thunderbird mail client stupidly does not yet allow replying to individual posts within a digest. Please CC me in any reply.]

Another solution to your problem, without going through the hassle of patching and rebuilding Binutils, is the SRecord utilities on SF:
<http://sourceforge.net/projects/srecord>
SRecord can manipulate load files of many different formats, including of course SRecord. IIRC, it can do the kind of reformatting that you want. SRecord is licensed under GPL and is known to build and work on GNU/Linux and Windows.

HTH
Eric