Re: MIPS gas doesn't set SH_FLAG

Hi Brett, Hi Eric, Hi Thiemo,

> Brett Porter wrote:
Here is a rather simple program:

        .section .debug_frame,0x7000001e,0x8000000,0,4
        .byte   0

I'm trying to assemble it on an IRIX64 6.5 system with a recently
released gas and with gas built from snapshot sources dated today.

That section flag bit is for SHF_MIPS_NOSTRIP.  elfdump shows that
it isn't set in the output file.  It is set when assembled with the
IRIX assembler. I bumped into this one -- didn't go hunting for
other flags...

Is this a simple missing piece or part of a bigger, messier puzzle,
or ???

It is a bigger, messier puzzle in that no MIPS specific ELF section header flags can (currently) be set via the .section directive.

The MIPS port of GAS does have special code to handle setting other section header flags via the .section directive, so I am assuming that the intent was that MIPS specific flags would be supported too.

Hence I am offering up the attached patch as a possible solution. Eric, Thiemo - what do you think ? Tested with no regressions on mips-elf, mips64-linux-gnu and mipsisa32el-linux-gnu targets.

Note - as an aside I noticed that readelf does not currently decode and display the values of MIPS specific section flags - it probably should do this, if somebody wanted to write the code...

Cheers
  Nick

bfd/ChangeLog
2005-02-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* elfxx-mips.c (_bfd_mips_elf_fake_sections): Copy user specified,
	MIPS specific section flags into the fake section's header.

gas/ChangeLog
2005-02-28  Nick Clifton  <nickc@redhat.com>

	* config/tc-mips.c (mips_elf_section_flags): New function.  Ensure
	that user specified MIPS specific section flags are permitted in
	the section header.
	* config/tc-mips.h (md_elf_section_flags): Define.  Use
	mips_elf_section_flags.