--as-needed by default

Hi,

I'm wondering why the --as-needed ld option is not used by default.
Presumably it could break software, and I'm wondering if this is actually
the case or if there is some other reason.

If it breaks backwards compatibility, is it known how widespread the
problems are?

I understand that changing ld itself may not be what is wanted. So in that
case the question would become, "Why is --as-needed not in the gcc
specfiles so it's used automatically?".

thanks -mike