.po file priority

This message sent to both: binutils@sourceware.org and gnu@gnu.org

Hi there :)

As a mad localizer, I have been working on a number of your files recently, and have found that difficult because few, if any have the Report-Msgid-Bugs-To header filled in.

This header contains the contact address for us to report any typos or mistakes in the original strings, or to clarify meaning of strings with the developer.

I have discussed this with the Translation Project at the University of MontrÃal, and they would like to encourage your developers to use this header when creating .pot/.po files. Once that variable is set, it shouldn't be necessary to do it again: all .po files from that developer should have the header filled in.

I checked on the TP mailing list, and they said:

As the gettext documentation says:

   Report-Msgid-Bugs-To
     This has already been filled in by `xgettext'.

The developer thus needs to pass the option --msgid-bugs-address=...
to xgettext. With recent gettext infrastructure this is a field in
po/Makevars that the developer fills in; the rest is automatic.

Please encourage your developers to fill in this field, so we can do a better job of localizing their files. :)

Thankyou for your time.

from Clytie (vi-VN, team/nhÃm Gnome-vi)

Clytie Siddall--Renmark, in the Riverland of South Australia

á thÃnh phá Renmark, tái mián sÃng cáa Nam Ãc