Re: How to change ld, as version manually? (and more)

Hi,

Changing the version numbers is a really bad idea. I would definitely advise against it.

I can fake the configure script manually, but i feel that it isn't right.
i want to set it's version as 2.15.96.

The version number is controlled by the configure.in script in the bfd/ directory. Look for the definition of AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE.
You will need to regenerate the bfd/configure file afterwards, or else edit it by hand.

> configure: error:
> *** These critical programs are missing or too old: as ld
> *** Check the INSTALL file for required versions.

There are good reasons why the configure script it checking for a minimum version of the assembler and linker. Just faking the version number is not going to fix the bugs or add the features that glibc is depending upon.

Cheers
  Nick