Re: [patch] VxWorks x86 shared library support.

I don't like any of your hacks to the generic ELF linker code.  With a
little thought, you should be able to eliminate most of them.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2005 at 02:58:25PM +0100, Paul Brook wrote:
> 	* elf-bfd.h (struct elf_backend_data): Add is_vxworks.
> 	(RELOC_FOR_GLOBAL_SYMBOL): Ignore VxWorks magic GOT symbols.

No way is this RELOC_FOR_GLOBAL_SYMBOL hack acceptable.  Instead, do
something about giving these magic symbols a value.  See, for example,
elf32_hppa_set_gp.

> 	* elf.c (assign_section_numbers): Add special handling for VxWorks
> 	.plt.unloaded section.

Well, maybe this is OK.

> 	* elflink.c (_bfd_elf_create_dynamic_sections): Mark VxWorks PLT
> 	symbols as functions.

Do this in backend code, by looking up the sym and changing its type.

> 	(elf_link_adjust_relocs): Convert SHN_UNDEF relocs for PLT stubs
> 	into section relative relocs.

Yikes!  You say

+         /* This is a relocation from an executable or shared library
+            against a symbol in a different shared library.  We are
+            createing a definition in the output file but it does not come
+            from any of out normal (.o) files. ie. a PLT stub.

So this is presumably a linker created reloc.  Why can't you create it
such that it doesn't need this horrible hack?

> 	(elf_link_output_extsym): Ignore undefined VxWorks GOTT symbols.

This shouldn't be needed if you give these syms a value.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre