> 	.global \name
> 	.type \name, @proc
> 	.ifnb \more
> 	gproc \more
> 	.endif
> 	.endm
>
> These qualifiers mean
>
> req	argument value required
> vararg	parameter covers all remaining arguments, if any
>
> while by default specifying an argument value would remain
> optional (including the use of =<value> to specify a default
> value). Of course, the use of : here again may present some
> issues, since MMIX allows : in symbol names, but other than
> above I think this could be tolerated, just requiring to use
> white space around the colon to disambiguate things.

Whitespace separates parameters, not just comma, so I don't
think that'd be disambiguating.  I stand by my position that
allowing other than alphanumerics + _ in macro parameter names
is a walk down the wrong lane.  The powerpc symbol issue seems
to support that position.

(BTW, I agree with davem that your overlong lines makes
communication harder.)

brgds, H-P