Re: MIPS, strip --only-keep-debug & an infinite loop

On Fri, Apr 29, 2005 at 04:16:27PM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> > >  But I've tried with a different target and the result is weird -- all
> > > non-debugging sections are merged to overlap starting from the same file
> > > offset, keeping their sizes, VMA, etc. intact...  Program headers, if
> > > present, get adjusted accordingly.
> >
> > You missed the vital bit.  They all become NOBITS sections.  The
> > original file still has their original contents; they are only in this
> > file because .symtab will have contents, and it references section
> > numbers.
>
>  That makes sense.  And with readelf I can see the problem now --
> ".MIPS.options" is left marked as SHT_MIPS_OPTIONS as opposed to
> SHT_NOBITS.  Since that section no longer contains anything relevant, it
> should be considered a bug.

Hmm... I'm not completely sure, but your explanation is definitely
plausible.  But BFD does a lot of things based on section name.  Will
it actually help if the section is SHT_NOBITS, if its name is still
.MIPS.options?

> > >  Then the affected sections should get completely
> > > removed and not mangled like currently, avoiding the problem altogether.
> > > Removing ".MIPS.options" alongside ".text", ".data", etc. is of course
> > > something that's beyond the MIPS64 ELF spec and would be quite a
> > > reasonable action to perform.
> >
> > Not at all, because then we could not define debugging symbols in
> > .text.
>
>  So again it's bad wording.  How about this patch?
>
> 2005-04-29  Maciej W. Rozycki  <macro@linux-mips.org>
>
> 	* doc/binutils.texi (strip, objcopy): Clarify the description of
> 	the "--strip-debug" option.  Fix a typo.

This patch is OK.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery, LLC