Re: Ping on HP-UX patch for a clean build

> From: James E Wilson <wilson@specifixinc.com>

> Maybe something like
>   /* Only use getc_unlocked if we found a declaration for it.
>      Otherwise, libc is not thread safe by default, and we should not
>      use it.  This should test HAVE_DECL_GETC_UNLOCKED if configure
>      used the standard autoconf AC_CHECK_DECLS test.  */

Sounds reasonable.

> One thing that isn't clear to me is why you just didn't add the
> AC_CHECK_DECLS test in the first place.  Sure, the existing configure.in
> file has out of date BFD_NEED_DECLARATION checks, but that shouldn't
> prevent you from handling getc_unlocked the correct way via
> AC_CHECK_DECLS, unless I missed something.  You can leave the problem of
> fixing the rest of the BFD_NEED_DECLARATION checks to someone else.

The configure I have for the binutils subdirectory was built with
autoconf 2.13.  I am pretty sure I tried using AC_CHECK_DECLS with
autoconf 2.13 and it did not work (wasn't recognized).  When we start
requiring autoconf 2.57 or later then we can use AC_CHECK_DECLS.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com