Re: gc sections and .eh_frame

Eric Botcazou wrote:
That's quite a sledgehammer approach! The overhead of garbage collectable
stuff in .rodata is substantially more than .gcc_except_table. For my own
use, right now, I've just reverted the patch.

Since -function-sections --gc-sections doesn't work in presence of DWARF-2 EH, you could simply not pass -function-sections to the compiler.

Ah, the issue being on embedded targets (as powerpc-eabi is implicitly), people are normally selective about what they allow to be compiled without -fno-exceptions. In the case of eCos, the OS is fully linked to the application, and almost none of the OS wants to use C++ exceptions. This translates to large savings with gc sections.

I expect anyone else using eCos or their own embedded OS would be similarly selective.

I'm not sure the .gcc_except_table section has already been created by the time bfd_elf_gc_sections is invoked. I'm looking into it.

Great, thanks. I guess looping over the input BFDs would be better.

Jifl