Re: How to build windres to run on OS X

On Jun 18, 2005, at 14:46, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:

On Sat, Jun 18, 2005 at 11:45:22AM -0700, Wenlin Institute wrote:
Could anyone please explain how to build windres to run on OS X (or
Darwin)? I downloaded and installed binutils-2.16.1, which includes
windres.c, but windres is still not built or installed. The docs for
windres say:

"Warning: windres is not always built as part of the binary utilities,
since it is only useful for Windows targets."

What I'm trying to do is cross-compile the MS-Windows version of an
application, using a Macintosh. I've followed the instructions for
"Installing and Using the MinGW Cross-Compiler on Mac OS X" using
DarwinPorts

Try configuring binutils for the right target: --target=i686-pc-mingw32.

Thanks, I just tried that, but now I get an error message when I run "make". Here's what I did:

	cd /binutils-2.16.1
	./configure --target=i686-pc-mingw32

-- that seems to run OK, but then when I ran "make", here is what appeared:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
Configuring in libiberty
configure: loading cache ./config.cache
configure: error: `target_alias' has changed since the previous run:
configure: former value: powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
configure: current value: i686-pc-mingw32
configure: error: changes in the environment can compromise the build
configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over
make: *** [configure-libiberty] Error 1
------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------

So, I ran "make distclean", which produced this output:

------------------------------------------------------------------------ -------------
rm -f *.a TEMP errs core *.o *~ \#* TAGS *.E *.log
rm -f Makefile config.status config.cache mh-frag mt-frag
rm -f multilib.out multilib.tmp maybedep.tmp serdep.tmp
if [ "i686-pc-mingw32" != "." ]; then \
rm -rf i686-pc-mingw32; \
else true; fi
rm -rf build-powerpc-apple-darwin7.9.0
if [ "." != "." ]; then \
rm -rf .; \
else true; fi
rm -f texinfo/po/Makefile texinfo/po/Makefile.in texinfo/info/Makefile
rm -f texinfo/doc/Makefile texinfo/po/POTFILES
rmdir texinfo/doc texinfo/info texinfo/intl texinfo/lib 2>/dev/null
make: [local-distclean] Error 1 (ignored)
rmdir texinfo/makeinfo texinfo/po texinfo/util 2>/dev/null
make: [local-distclean] Error 1 (ignored)
rmdir fastjar gcc libiberty texinfo zlib 2>/dev/null
make: [local-distclean] Error 1 (ignored)

I also ran "rm ./config.cache", but at this point the result was "rm: ./config.cache: No such file or directory".

Repeating the sequence of commands just keeps giving the same results.

I don't really understand the meaning of "target" here. I'm trying to compile windres on OS X, so that I can run windres on OS X. Doesn't that mean the "host" and "target" are both OS X? Notwithstanding the fact that windres itself will be used to compile an application that will run on MS-Windows?

Best Wishes,

Tom

ææ Wenlin Institute, Inc.        Software for Learning Chinese
E-mail: wenlin@wenlin.com     Web: http://www.wenlin.com
Telephone: 1-877-4-WENLIN (1-877-493-6546)